The Ruminator

Come on up and grab yourself a beer.

Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Tales of compulsive capitalism

We got a new appliance in our household yesterday, and I'm very excited.

Actually we tend to get new gadgets in our house fairly often, and almost all of them are mine. I used to think of myself as a careful saver (otherwise known as tight-arse), but then I realised that I am just selective about what I think is worth buying. I don't like going clothes shopping, for example, because I tend to think everything is vastly overpriced. On the other hand I am a woman who just decided one day to buy a DVD player. And surround sound system. And then I needed a new television (well, particularly after my housemate’s ancient television had a heart attack and died from the strain of having a new gadget attached to it). And then there was the VCR. And the MiniDisk player. And new speakers.

You get the picture.

So anyway, new appliance yesterday. I'm so excited by it that I am going to go home at lunch today so that I can use it. It is just what our household needed, particularly at this time of year. I can't believe we didn't get one long ago.

Thank god for the sandwich toaster.