The Ruminator

Come on up and grab yourself a beer.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Don't rain on my parade

Apparently there was massive flooding on the weekend in the north of Thailand - the worst floods in a decade. Roads are closed, people have died, others are homeless, and there is lots of damage.

Naturally, this is one of the areas I'm planning to go on my holiday. In particular, Chiang Mai came very close to declaring a state of emergency.

Not that I'm suggesting that the natural disasters that have beset Thailand lately are only a tragedy insofar as they affect my holiday plans (damn Western capitalist exploiter that I am). But I just want to learn a little more about the world, connect with the land of my birth, expand my mind, and have some fun, without worrying about flash floods, tsunamis, acts of terrorism, bird flu, international drug smugglers, or violent uprisings.

Is that too much to ask?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home