The Ruminator

Come on up and grab yourself a beer.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

It has already begun

Somewhat to my surprise, I can proudly announce that I have already started on my list of things I have been meaning to do – I went skiing last weekend!

And it was great fun! Sure, I had problems with the whole stopping thing. Sure I fell over a lot. Sure I had moments of ‘What was I thinkiiiiiiiiiing!’ *crash* But it was still lots of fun. We just went up for the day, so what I really need to do is go up for a week and get a lot more lessons.

My hot tip for the week is that your friends may be very good at skiing, but that doesn’t mean they’re very good at teaching you to ski (but good effort, thanks!). Because they forget that stopping and turning are not instinctual. (Apart from the falling over technique. That usually works pretty well.) On the other hand, they are rather softer than the surrounding trees if you have no other way of slowing down. (Sorry!) The nice professional instructor will teach you things like how to stand up, and how not to slide backwards down the hill.

The other thing I did on the weekend was have a very blokey afternoon, drinking beer and playing air hockey in the garage. There is now a wooden spoon proudly engraved with my name. Or rather, ‘Big M’. (I have a nickname, I’m so proud.) And I can add to my list of new experiences being driven at high speed in a dune buggy in a suburban backyard. (I so want one. Pity I live in a third floor apartment.) My helpful tip for this activity is to remember to pull your head in (literally) when you pass within centimetres of the hills hoist, or bad things may happen.

Given that it has been a very busy, very stressful week at work, sometimes hanging out with the boys is just what you need.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:58 am, Blogger Doug said…

    Nice work, damn, I feel my heart-rate's risen just reading it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home