The Ruminator

Come on up and grab yourself a beer.

Thursday, January 06, 2005

And you are?

Celebrity endorsements of major causes can range from the sublime to the ridiculous. On the plus side I think it's great when celebrities donate big money to charity, and some can be quite effective at raising awareness or campaigning for attitude change in certain groups for whom they have influence. On the other hand, sometimes there is a good laugh to be had in famous people grossly overestimating their own influence.

Mr President, I think it’s time we brought the troops home. Really, why? It seems we’ve had a special request from Madonna. I mean, millions of people around the world marched against war, but if Madonna says it’s bad...

I was rather bemused the other day to read that Richard Gere has appeared in advertisements urging Palestinians to vote. Apparently the man is “a known supporter of the Palestinian people” and “believes that freedom and liberty are for everyone.” Which is all very well, but I doubt if the Palestinians would know that. I'm guessing that the local Gaza cinema hasn't had a Pretty Woman festival lately.

As it turns out, the ads actually are just confusing to your average Palestinan voter. Some actor I’ve never heard of, an American, is telling me to vote. And I should care? So my favourite quote of the day goes to Gaza soap factory worker Manar al-Najjar:

We don't need the Americans’ intervention. We know who to elect. Not like them - they elected a moron.
Indeed.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:17 pm, Blogger Doug said…

    Oh to be so involved in one's own ego, and rich enough to splash it about like that.

    Good to have you back!

     
  • At 1:17 am, Blogger Jasmine said…

    Hilarious!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home